Monday, December 30, 2013

My Secrect Addiction

It's confession time for me.  I'm about to admit to something that I secretly have hid almost my entire life.

There is one thing in my house that I find myself drawn to eat everyday.  Now, before your mind really starts to wander, it's nothing gross, like that TLC show where people admit to eating toilet paper or cleaning products and a million other gross things.

Mine is at least a food!

Here we go:

...
...
...
...
...

I am addicted to butter!

There, I said it.  There is not a day that goes by that I don't use butter.  But it's not that I just use it on toast or potatoes, I like it hard off of the pound.  When I slice some off to warm up for my toast, I have to slice off a sliver to sample.  Butter on graham wafer crackers?  Yum-o!  Slabs of butter on warm bread? Yes please!

I remember in high school someone commenting that they hate butter on a sandwich because it gets all hard and thick, in my head I said "but that is the best part!"

One time when I was about 12, I was having butterscotch ice cream and I wanted it more butterscotchy, so I added a couple chunks of butter.  Looking back, that was a huge mistake and not the least bit enjoyable.  I'm a better cook now and realize that caramel was actually the secret ingredient.

It's not that I think butter is a bad thing and I do think it's better for us than margarine...in moderation.  2 tsp = 70 calories and if I was honest with myself, I easily use 2 tsp per slice of toast, perhaps more even.  So basically, if I have toast for breakfast, the breakdown is like this:

2 slices of bread - 180 cal
4 tsp of butter - 140 cal
2 tbsp of jam - 100 cal.

Total calories: 420 cal.

I could make such a huge difference if I just slashed the butter.

My calorie goal for each day is 1500 and ideally, I would break it down like this:

Breakfast: 400 cal
Lunch: 400 cal
Dinner: 700 cal

Part of my goal for 2014 is to figure out a way to plan better meals...ones that will give me the most bang for my buck.  I've been experimenting with smoothies and I will get back to you on that one.

How can something this beautiful be so bad?

You can find the original picture and more here

1 comment:

  1. I eat butter almost every single day. Sweet cream salted butter is super yummy on vegetables too!! I follow a LC diet so this works for me. :)

    ReplyDelete