Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sunday Confessions

It's time for my second installment of Sunday Confessions.

If you have managed to read through my whole blog, you know I am a card carrying member of TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly)

While I have not lost TONS of weight while using it, I have lost about 30 pounds and the accountability of the group has kept me from packing that back on (plus some)

You might be wondering...how could I possibly have a confession around belonging to such a great group?  Well, this is how.  I want to start carrying "business cards" and hand them out to other "fat" people I see on the street.

HOWEVER....I know how people don't really like that.  I mean, I would be pretty mortified if someone did that to me.

I live in a small village and there are a couple women who would benefit from TOPS.  I see them out walking every once in awhile and I know they are probably trying to make a difference in their life and I just want to make them aware of this program in their own community.  I am pretty sure that half of the village has no idea we meet each week in the church basement.

There was another woman that I know from work that I desperately wanted to make sure she knew about TOPS.  She is a client of ours, around 30, who is overweight, diabetic and her feet are failing her.  As in, I would not be surprised if eventually she has them amputated.  For a whole week after her last visit, I wanted to sit down and write her a letter, telling her all about TOPS and where the chapter closest to her meets.  In the end I didn't because I didn't know if it was appropriate.  I don't think she fully grasps the seriousness of her condition.  I am scared for her truthfully.  What would you do if you were in my situation?  Would you send her a nice little letter, telling her about the program, or would you leave it and hope one day it all clicks for her?

So, that is my confession for the week.  It's not much of one, but basically, I want to be the pied piper of fat people and lead them to TOPS meetings.

(and by the way, I use the term "FAT" in a loving way.  I call myself fat and have nicknamed by TOPS group, my "fat group".  If you are offended or think I am mean....better stop reading my blog now!) :-)

1 comment:

  1. I have had the same issues! I see people all of the time and it's like Dude! Get up and walk! And NOT to McDonalds!
    I have found that I tend to put myself into a conversation. If someone says "Yeah, I've been lazy lately and need to get to the gym" I'll automatically go into the "Have you tried zumba?!" speech and talk about my own weight loss and such. Instead of focusing on them and how they might need it, I tell them how it's affected me.

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete